A Brief History of Hedberg Public Library
According to documents found in our Local History Database, the public library dates
In 1874, the Janesville Ladies Temperance Union (LTU) organized a free library and reading room with the help of some YMA members; by January 1875, the LTU Library was opened to the public as one instrument of prohibition that received support and recognition of varying degrees. In 1883 it was moved to the Bennett Block on West Milwaukee Street, and through the efforts of the Women's Clubs of Janesville was made a free library. In January, 1884, the city adopted it as a city library and undertook its support.
The library's first permanent home was built
The library outgrew their quarters in the early sixties and a new library was built at 316 S. Main. In April of 1968, the library moved to its new, and current, address. The new building's cost was $939,000. Funding included a $142,000 federal grant and a $780,000 city bond issue. Frelich-Angus Associates and Severson-Schlintz, both of Janesville, were selected as architect and general contractor, respectively.
The new 41,000-square-foot building reached its intended capacity by 1979, but further expansion would wait until 1993, when a $3 million gift from Don and Gerry Hedberg put the topic back on the table. The expansion would eventually cost $8 million, including furnishings and automation. The Hedbergs, former owners of Lab Safety Supply in Janesville, increased their donation to $4.66 million. Other funders were city taxpayers ($1.49 million), the library's capital campaign ($1.1 million), Grainger and Janesville Foundations ($625,000) and the Friends of Janesville Public Library ($25,000).
In May 1994, library operations moved to temporary quarters in a former K-mart store on the city's south side. Major expansion began at 316 S. Main. To save money, the original elevator shaft, the lower level and some structural elements remained intact, but the look was all new. The library reopened on Main Street in June 1996.
With the expansion, the Janesville Public Library was renamed Hedberg Public Library in honor of primary donors Don and Gerry Hedberg.
Architect: Meyer, Scherer and Rockcastle, Minneapolis, MN
© Hedberg Public Library. All rights reserved.
316 South Main Street Janesville, WI 53545 | (608) 758-6600